With so many streaming platforms now available, there are seemingly endless options when it comes to finding something to watch. However, when it comes to documentaries and reality TV, options have been limited until now. Discovery has decided to jump into the streaming game with its recent launch of discovery+. Here’s everything you need to know about the new platform, how much it costs, and whether it’s worth it.
Table Of Contents
What is discovery+?
discovery+ is a new streaming subscription service that features non-fiction content. Here’s a quick run down of the platform:
- discovery+ is a streaming service featuring on-demand content
- Monthly fee starts at $4.99 per month with no contract
- Free to cancel at any time
- No cable required
- Features 1,000 hours of original programming and over 64.99,000 episodes of on-demand content
- Watch shows from Discovery brands including HGTV, TLC, ID, OWN, Travel Channel, Food Network, Discovery Channel, and Animal Planet
- Compatible with
- Apple TV, Android TV, Fire TV, and Chromecast
The main focus of discovery+ is reality programming and documentaries. Some of the most popular shows and personalities will be featured on discovery+ including Chip and Joanna Gaines, Bobby Flay, Amy Schumer, Sir David Attenboroguh, and more.
With it’s recent launch in January 2021, we’re sure to see changes to this streaming platform over time. We’ll update this page as they occur, but this is what we know as of this time.
How Does discovery+ Work?
Similar to Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services, discovery+ requires a subscription, a reliable internet connection, and a compatible device.
- Sign up for discovery+ online with a 7-day free trial
- If you decide to keep the service, subscriptions start at $4.99 a month.
- Open the app on your Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, or other compatible device
- Watch shows and documentaries on-demand
- Cancel at any time
- Enjoy content from several Discovery brands
What Shows & Movies Are on discovery+?
discovery+ features content from many genres including lifestyle and relationship, home and food, paranormal, true crime, science, tech, natural history, and more. Watch more than 64.99,000 episodes of your favorite TV shows from:
- The HISTORY Channel
- Food Network
- Travel Channel
- Discovery Channel
- Animal Planet
Popular shows that will be featured on the platform include:
- 90 Day Fiance
- Pawn Stars
- Ancient Aliens
- Storage Wars
- The First 48
- Bring IT
- Dance Moms
- Ghost Hunters
- Long Island Medium
- House Hunters
- Six Degrees with Mike Rowe
discovery+ Release Date
While it’s initial rollout began in the UK, Ireland, and India back in 2020, discovery+ was officially released in the US on January 4, 2021. It will rollout to more than 25 markets in 2021.
discovery+ Monthly Price
In the US, discovery+ starts at $4.99 a month without a contract. There is also an ad-free option for $6.99 per month. Note that every account includes 5 user profiles and 4 concurrent streams.
discovery+ is also partnering with Verizon. New Verizon customers on select plans will receive a free 12-month discovery+ subscription.
discovery+ Devices: How Can I Watch?
You can watch discovery+ with a number of different devices including:
- iPhone 5 with iOS11 or later
- iPad2 with iOS11 or later
- TvOS with tvOS10 or later
- Android phones and tablets with 5.0 (Lollipop) and later
- Android TV with Android 7 or later
- Chromecast Generation 2 or later
- Laptops and desktops with specific versions of Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari browsers
Discovery+ Pros & Cons
Like other streaming platforms there are clear advantages and disadvantages.
- At $4.99 a month, it’s affordable
- Free year subscription with select Verizon plans
- Free 7-day trail
- No contract
- No commitment
- No cable needed
- Substantial library of original content and episode of favorite shows
- 5 user profiles and 4 simultaneous streams (one of the most generous of all streaming platforms)
- Helps you get your reality TV fix
- Focus is on non-fiction content
- Limited to content from Discovery brands
Is discovery+ Worth It?
Overall, discovery+ is worth the minimal investment, especially if you’re already a fan of content from their brands. If nothing sounds better than a Saturday binge session of HGTV or the Food Network, then discovery+ is the streaming platform you’ve been waiting for. The best part is that you can check it out for free for 7-days to see if it’s right for you.
- Can You Watch ESPN on Fire TV? - 03/20/2021
- 4 NBA Streaming Services to Watch Live Basketball This Season - 12/28/2020
- How to Watch CBS on Roku: Which Services Are Compatible? - 10/16/2020