The last few years have seen a revolution in TV. It is no longer necessary to be tied to a cable provider with a long contract. There are many live TV streaming services that are as good, or better, than what the cable companies provide. All this for a lot less money.
We provide simple but detailed information for cord-cutters to get the best possible experience without cable. You will learn where and how to stream different channels, what individual streaming services offer, and how to be cost-effective with your chosen streaming device.
In a hurry? There’s lots of information below, but if you just want to start enjoying TV more while spending less money, you can’t go wrong with these services:
- Hulu + Live TV: This industry leader in on-demand streaming offers 85+ live channels, covering a broad range of sports, entertainment, and famiy content. Try it free for 7 days!
- FuboTV: Known for its outstanding sports coverage, Fubo’s 100+ live TV channels provide a broad selection that appeals to most people. See if it’s right for you with a 7-day free trial!
- Sling TV: The low-price leader that offers 40+ channels, including a couple of local network affiliates, for just $35 per month. Try them for a month for just $10, no contract, no obligation!
Whether you’re a sports fan, movie buff, parent with curious kids, or just a general TV consumer, we provide you with everything you need to leave your cable contract behind.
Table Of Contents
What’s Streaming Now?
October is a crazy month for sports! The NHL and NBA have started their regular seasons, MLB is in the playoffs, college and pro football are deep into their seasons, and auto racing, golf, tennis, and so much more continue on. We seriously thought about not putting together a list this week and just offering, “Turn on your TV!” But we did our job. Great things to watch every day!
Sporting Events This Week
- Red Sox at Astros (Oct 15th 8:00 pm): Watch the first game of the ALCS (Fox).
- Kentucky at Georgia (Oct 16th 3:30 pm): Don’t miss the #11 and #1 NCAA football teams square off (CBS).
- Autotrader EchoPark Automotive 500 (Oct 17th 2:00 pm): Check out the action as NASCAR moves to Texas (NBC).
- WWE RAW (Oct 18th 8:00 pm): Tune in for another live RAW (USA).
- Bills at Titans (Oct 18th 8:15 pm): See these well-matched teams battle on Monday Night Football (ESPN).
- Nets at Bucks (Oct 19th 7:30 pm): Check out the first game of the NBA regular season (TNT).
- Broncos at Browns (Oct 21st 8:20 pm): Don’t miss this Thursday Night Football match-up (Fox/NFL Network).
Movies and TV Shows This Week
- Passion Play: Russell Westbrook (Oct 15th): Get ready for the start of the NBA season with this documentary about the dynamic point guard (Showtime).
- Home Sweet Home (Oct 15th 8:00 pm): Tune in for this new show where two families switch lives (NBC).
- Hightown (Oct 17th): Check out the second season of this acclaimed crime drama (Starz).
- Mysterious Creatures With Forrest Galante (Oct 17th 9:00 pm): Don’t miss this new series that investigates mysteries related to rare animal sightings (Animal Planet).
- The Bachelorette (Oct 19th 8:00 pm): It might be a guilty pleasure but you won’t want to miss the new season (ABC).
- Night Teeth (Oct 20th): Catch this horror thriller featuring a chauffeur and his sexy vampire clients who may be his only hope to survive the night (Netflix).
- The Next Thing You Eat (Oct 21st): Don’t miss this new series that looks at the future of food (Hulu).
The championship series are here! The Boston Red Sox have surprised a lot of people by securing their spot in the ALCS with the Houston Astros. The Atlanta Braves and Los Angeles Dodgers are battling in the NLCS.
See our viewing guides for all the information:
NBA Regular Season Is Here!
The NBA regular season starts October 19th. Don’t miss out! Our NBA guide tells you all you need to know to catch all the action!
Why Get Rid of Cable TV?
Some reasons for getting rid of cable are obvious. But there are some that may not have occurred to you.
- Time: Too much television is a waste of time. If you cancel cable and only watch your favorite TV shows, you can spend more time with your friends and family.
- Money: A cable or satellite subscription costs many times more than it does to grab a simple on-demand plan with Hulu and Netflix. Cable is also more expensive than online cable replacement services with live TV channels, like FuboTV and Hulu + Live TV.
- Technology: Video streaming is the future of TV. Soon, all video entertainment will be via an online connection. You might as well get on board now, learn the tricks, and save money in the process.
- Information: Be more informed. Rather than be at the mercy of local news anchors, you will revert to more reputable news feeds like PBS, Bloomberg, CBS News, and LinkTV. For example, FuboTV provides 13 news and information channels, along with all the local affiliates in its base plan.
- Freedom: Cable and satellite providers normally tie you into a long contract, only to give you prices that are still higher than comparable streaming services. Getting rid of cable means getting rid of the contract. Go month-to-month and be flexible.
- Dignity: Stop getting ripped off! Calling up the cable company and canceling your cable will simply make you feel good.
Best Streaming Services
Choosing the right streaming service is probably the most important decision that a cord-cutter will make. There is no absolute “best” streaming service. It all depends on what you want with your live TV streaming plan.
Some streaming services are free, like Peacock TV (although they have a premium plan). Sling TV offers value plans that are low-cost but offer a lot. And the full-featured plans of FuboTV, Hulu Live TV, and DirectTV Stream) provide what you would expect from a standard cable plan, but with different bonus features designed to appeal to all sorts of viewers’ needs.
Get access to all our detailed and up-to-date reviews of the major streaming services. You will also get links to free trials so you can make sure a service suits you before you buy.
Internet Without Cable?
Most cable TV subscribers also get their internet access from the same place. In many cases, there are other options for the internet. In some cases, cable is literally the only game in town.
We’ve put together everything that cord-cutters need to know about getting internet service. Even if your cable provider is tied in with your internet, you can probably get a reasonably-priced internet-only plan via a downgrade.
There are a lot of aspects of cord-cutting that newbies may be faced with. These range from what’s worth watching, to getting access to particular channels, to buying and installing specialized streaming and recording devices.
We discuss it all. Here are some of our most popular articles:
- How to Watch Local News Without Cable
- Setting Up your Streaming Service Parental Controls
- The Best DVR Without Subscription Fees
- The Best Ways to Get Internet Without Cable for Cord Cutters
- Watching Television in Spanish Without Cable.
Stream Major Events
Major TV events are still a big part of our social lives — just look at Facebook and Twitter during the Super Bowl or Academy Awards. Cord cutters have full access to these events.
For those just starting out, we have primers on how to stream the biggest happenings:
- Academy Awards
- Golden Globes
- Grammy Awards
- Indy 500
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
- March Madness
- Miss USA Pageant
- Super Bowl
- Women’s World Cup
- World Series.
Most major streaming services offer good access to live sports. The standout is FuboTV. But a good low-cost newcomer to the industry is Vidgo. We have articles about everything related to live streaming sports like:
Stream TV Shows
With live TV streaming, you never have to miss your favorite shows, mini-series, and films when they are broadcast live. Here are some of our articles about streaming some recent must-see TV titles:
- American Idol
- Better Call Saul
- Deadwood: The Movie
- Game of Thrones
- Into the Badlands
- Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD
- Shark Week
- The Walking Dead.
Get Started Now
We understand that dumping cable is intimidating. So we’ve written a detailed step-by-step guide to the process on How to Watch TV Without Cable.
It also gives you an overview of all the top streaming services, desirable features to look for, and answers to the most frequently asked questions from to-be cord-cutters.
What are you waiting for? Get started now!
- Olympic Basketball is Here! How to Stream Without Cable - 07/27/2021
- How to Stream Olympic Gymnastics Online Without Cable - 07/22/2021