The 2019 British Open is set to take place in beautiful Northern Ireland, for the first time in more than 60 years! This is the 148th British Open and the first time that they have been in Northern Ireland since 1951. The Dunluce Course at the Portrush Royal Golf Club in Portrush will be where it all takes place and fans from across the world are ready to see how it all plays out. The biggest names in golf will be there including Francesco Molinari who is hoping to repeat his win from the previous year. You can watch the British Open online without cable from July 18th to 21st.
All of the coverage for the British Open live stream will air in the U.S. on Golf and NBC. While NBC is a local network, it is available through many streaming services. Golf is available nationwide either with cable or with a streaming service. In the following sections, we’ll share all of the ways that you can watch the British Open without cable.
Table Of Contents
- 1 How to Watch the British Open Without Cable: At a Glance
- 2 Using Streaming Services to Watch British Open Without Cable
- 3 Stream British Open without Cable via fuboTV
- 4 Watch British Open without Cable on Hulu with Live TV
- 5 Watch the British Open Live Stream with Sling TV Blue
- 6 Watch British Open without Cable on PlayStation Vue
- 7 Watch British Open Online without Cable via DIRECTV NOW
- 8 Watch British Open Streaming on YouTube TV
- 9 Wrapping Up
How to Watch the British Open Without Cable: At a Glance
Golf and NBC are offered by numerous streaming services. This means that you don’t need cable to watch either network. Even further, it means you don’t need cable to watch the British Open online. While access to NBC may be limited, depending on your area, Golf will be available nationwide. If you’re looking for access to the British Open live stream, here are a couple of good options with more details and a full list, below.
fuboTV (free 7-day trial) is a sports-centered streaming service that features over 80 channels in all, 30 of which are sports channels. NBC is available in limited areas based on your location. Golf is one of the many included channels available nationwide. Pricing starts at $45 for the month and $64.99 from the second month onward. Along with live channels, you’ll have an on-demand library, access to TV Everywhere apps, and a cloud-based DVR. You can stream British Open online with mobile devices, computers, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, and other devices.
Hulu with Live TV (free 7-day trial) features over 60 channels and Hulu on-demand for $45 per month. This package is particularly popular with current Hulu users as they can add live TV to their on-demand plan and roll the bill into one. NBC is available in most areas across the country. Golf is available nationwide. You’ll also have a lot of other great channels and the option of adding movie channels, as well. Streaming is possible on Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, mobile devices, and more. A cloud-DVR is included with 50-hours of space with an option to upgrade to 200-hours.
Using Streaming Services to Watch British Open Without Cable
There are plenty of reasons why people are abandoning their cable packages for one of many streaming options. Obviously, price is a major factor, but there are many others. If you’re new to the idea of streaming and you want more information, this section will tell you more about the benefits of streaming and why it’s worth considering if you find yourself getting sick of cable.
- You’ll Save Money: There’s no doubt about it, right now streaming is the cheaper option. While cable bills continue to become more and more expensive, streaming services are usually offered at a price that is half of what cable is charging. In fact, most streaming packages cost between $20 and $50. Sure, there are a few that cost more, but most of them are in that range. In any case, even the higher-priced packages are less than the average $100 cable bill. It just makes sense to get rid of cable.
- The Lineup is Similar: If you can find something with cable, you can find it through a streaming service. Everything from AMC and ESPN to Syfy and USA is available. Many areas have access to local channels, too. While each package offers its own lineup, most services allow you to add some channels to your package to make it your own. This allows you to add HBO and other channels without relying on cable for a thing.
- More Viewing Options: Not only are there more devices you can watch TV on, but there are also more viewing options. For example, you can watch TV live or on-demand. Most services even offer a cloud-DVR so you can record and save shows if you want to watch them later. You can also use TV Everywhere apps with most services, providing another way to watch. As for devices, you can use computers, mobile devices, Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, and many other devices. In short, as long as you have a compatible device and an Internet connection you can watch TV pretty much anywhere.
If you want additional information on streaming devices, our guide to streaming devices might help.
Now it’s time to check out how you can watch British Open online without cable!
Stream British Open without Cable via fuboTV
fuboTV offers more than 80 channels for $64.99 per month. Sports fans love this service because over 30 channels are sports channels. Introductory pricing is available for the first month for just $45. You can enjoy a wide variety of channels including Golf, USA, Hallmark, TNT, FX, and others. You can watch NBC and other local channels streaming in most areas. You can also watch content after it has aired in the on-demand library. Using TV Everywhere apps will give you another way to watch your favorite content. Other fuboTV details:
- Plans from $64.99
- The first month costs $45
- Over 80 channels are included
- More than 30 sports channels in every package
- Great way to watch sports without cable (including golf!)
- Stream FS1, Golf, FOX, AMC, TNT, FX, Hallmark, USA, and many others
- Watch on computers, mobile devices, Roku, Apple TV, and computers
- 3-Day Replay is part of the on-demand library
If you’re interested in fuboTV, make sure to take a minute and sign up for the free 7-day trial! This will give you a chance to enjoy fuboTV for yourself! And, as there are no contracts, you can always cancel if it’s not the service for you. An on-demand library is included as is a cloud-DVR. Space in the DVR is limited, but you can upgrade the space to store 500-hours of content. You can stream fuboTV on most streaming and mobile devices including smart TVs, Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast, computers, and other devices.
Our fuboTV review is here with more info.
Watch British Open without Cable on Hulu with Live TV
Hulu with Live TV is another good option if you’re in the market for a cable alternative. This plan includes more than 60 channels for $45. One of the best parts of this plan is that the popular Hulu on-demand service is included. This gives you access to a complete package filled with live and on-demand TV from some of TV’s most popular networks. You’ll also have a cloud-DVR offering 50-hours of space. Hulu Live is compatible with mobile devices, computers, Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, and other devices.
Here is more on Hulu Live:
- Over 60 channels
- Hulu on-demand is part of this package
- $45 per month
- Local channels are available in most areas
- A free one-week trial is included
- Watch on iOS/Android, Apple TV, computers, Roku, and more
- A cloud-DVR is included offering 50-hours of space
Hulu Live is a service that should work well for most people. There’s plenty of live and on-demand content in a mix of genres. TV Everywhere apps for many channels are included, too. The cloud-DVR includes 50-hours of space or there’s an upgrade with more space. You’ll have access to your favorite Hulu Live channels when you stream using gaming consoles, Chromecast, mobile devices, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, computers, Apple TV, and more.
Our Hulu with Live TV review is here if you want to learn more.
Watch the British Open Live Stream with Sling TV Blue
Sling TV has multiple packages, but the cheapest available option to watch the British Open without cable comes from Sling Blue. This package is $25 per month and includes NBC. NBC is also included, though it is only available live in limited areas. Over 40 channels are included. You can also add a wide variety of other channels if you’re interested in adding more to watch. You can stream on most devices from Roku to mobile devices.
Here is more about Sling TV:
- Often the cheapest option for sports streaming
- Sling Blue is $25 per month offering 40+ channels
- Add the sports bundle and get Golf and many other sports channels
- An on-demand library
- You can watch more on TV Everywhere apps
- Watch FX, FS1, USA, AMC, Syfy, and more
- Local channels are only live in a few areas
- Try Sling TV for a week free!
- Watch using mobile devices, Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku, and other devices
Sling TV is the clear choice if you want something that’s not going to cost you a lot. Each package starts off cheap and gives you plenty of options for customization. All packages include TV Everywhere apps, an on-demand library, and if you want, you can add a cloud-DVR for a fee. You’ll be able to watch Sling TV with most streaming and mobile devices. If you’re on the fence, make sure to give Sling TV a try during the one-week free trial.
Check out more details in our Sling TV review.
Watch British Open without Cable on PlayStation Vue
PlayStation Vue allows you to choose from four packages. You’ll start with around 45 channels for $45 a month. If you want more channels, you can choose one of the larger packages or add standalone movie channels for more to watch. Local channels are available, though they are not available live in all areas. You can also watch local content in the on-demand library. Streaming is possible using PS3 and PS4 consoles. If you don’t own a PlayStation console you can also stream on Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, and other devices.
More on PlayStation Vue:
- 4 packages to choose from
- $45 a month
- Watch FS1, USA, Syfy, FX, ESPN, TNT, and other networks
- Golf is available in some of the larger packages
- An on-demand library offers local and nationwide content
- The cloud-DVR features 28-day storage
- Stream on 5 devices at once
- Watch on PS3/PS4 consoles, iOS/Android devices, Apple TV, Roku, etc.
PlayStation Vue will work for a lot of streaming needs. Local channels are available in some areas. You’ll also be able to take your pick between multiple packages filled with popular sports and entertainment channels. If you’re worried you might miss something, you can save shows to the cloud-based DVR. You’ll also be able to watch on-demand content in the on-demand library or with TV Everywhere apps. Streaming is possible on PS3/PS4, Apple TV, Roku, mobile devices, computers, and more.
If you want to try it yourself, consider checking out the PS Vue 5-day trial.
And don’t forget to check out our PS Vue review.
Watch British Open Online without Cable via DIRECTV NOW
DIRECTV NOW is another service with multiple packages. The smallest package is $50 a month and includes 40 channels. Some areas will receive NBC, depending on the location. Nationwide channels include FS1, USA, TNT, FX, and many others. HBO is also included in this package. Standard features allow for streaming on two devices at once. If you need access to more simultaneous streams you can add a third device for a small fee. Each package includes an on-demand library and a limited cloud-DVR.
Here’s more on DIRECTV NOW:
- Multiple packages available
- $50 a month to start
- 40+ channels
- FX, FS1, HBO, USA, ESPN, and others are included
- Local channels are available based on location
- A cloud-based DVR offers 20-hours of storage
- The on-demand library features local content nationwide
- Watch on computers, Apple TV, Fire TV, mobile devices, Roku, and more
DIRECTV NOW costs more than other services, so if you’re not looking for a service offering HBO as part of the package, you might want to consider one of the cheaper options available here. Prices start at $50 and continue to climb from there. A cloud-DVR is included, but space is limited, and no upgrades are available. An on-demand library is also included and some TV Everywhere apps can be used with your package. If you want to try DIRECTV NOW, there’s a free one-week trial.
Learn more in our DIRECTV NOW review.
Watch British Open Streaming on YouTube TV
YouTube TV is the final option if you want to watch the British Open without cable. Packages start with more than 70 channels for $50 per month. Local channels are included in most areas, so most subscribers should have access to NBC. Other channels include AMC, FX, Golf, TNT, Freeform, USA, TBS, Syfy, and more. Like with other services, your package will include an on-demand library. TV Everywhere apps can also be used. You’ll be able to watch YouTube TV from most locations as long as you’ve got some good Wi-Fi. You can stream British Open coverage on Apple TV, Chromecast, mobile devices, Roku, computers, and more. Here are some more details about YouTube TV:
- 70+ channels from $50
- Make user profiles for the family
- Stream on multiple devices simultaneously
- Watch Golf, FX, FS1, AMC, local channels, ESPN, TNT, USA, and more
- Most areas will receive local channels live
- YouTube TV is a contract-free service
- Works on Apple TV, mobile devices, computers, Chromecast, and Roku
- The cloud-DVR offers unlimited space
YouTube TV includes everything you need to watch the British Open online without cable. You’ll have access to many popular local and cable channels both live and on-demand. You can watch content through YouTube TV or through TV Everywhere apps. If you want to watch content on-demand, there’s an on-demand library included. There’s also a cloud-based DVR with unlimited space. This makes YouTube TV a great option for people that prefer to binge-watch. YouTube TV is going to be a solid choice for many people and it’s certainly worth checking out the free one-week trial!
Our YouTube TV review has more details.
That covers all of the ways that you can watch the British Open online without cable. If you live in a rural area and cannot get access to NBC online, you may be able to use a digital antenna to get the coverage of the British Open live stream. Coverage will also air on Golf, which as you can see above, is available through many popular streaming services. Make sure to sign up for a free trial so you can watch the British Open online free!
If you still have questions about how to watch British Open online, feel free to let us know! You can also check out the official British Open website for more info on schedules and such.