The online streaming industry is becoming a crowded place! While popular services like Netflix still dominate the industry, more and more newcomers are launching and giving Netflix a run for its money. One of the latest new services is Disney Plus, the new streaming service directly from Disney. But what is Disney+? And is it worth subscribing to?
Our Disney+ review below will explore this service in detail. We’ll cover everything from the Disney+ release date to the anticipated monthly price and the shows it will offer.
Note: Keep in mind that Disney+ is not yet launched. The Disney Plus release date is scheduled for November 12, 2019. For now, you can learn more about the upcoming service in the Disney+ review below – but you won’t be able to sign up for it yet!
What is Disney+?
So, what is Disney+ anyway? What’s all the hype about?
Disney+ is a new online streaming service that will provide on-demand streaming of shows, movies and original content. In many ways it will be similar to Netflix, although the service will definitely focus on Disney’s own content.
Here’s the Disney Plus review at-a-glance:
- Disney+ is an on-demand streaming service
- It will cost $6.99 a month, with no contract
- You will be able to cancel at any time
- Available without cable
- Watch on-demand shows, movies and more
- Covers content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and more
- Tons of movies and shows for kids
- Watch on devices like Apple TV, Roku, etc. as well as mobile devices and more
On the service, you’ll find shows and movies from many famous franchises and studios, including Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, National Geographic, and of course Disney itself.
The focus will be primarily on family-friendly content. That doesn’t mean it will be all kids shows – but, you also likely won’t find any raunchy R-rated films on the service.
Disney+ will be available on its own. You can subscribe to it without cable, and stream it on your favorite devices. Again, the service will be similar to Netflix – but with different content.
Keep in mind that Disney+ will launch in November 2019 – so it’s not available yet. This Disney Plus review is meant as a primer to keep you in the loop on the exciting new service. As details emerge, we’ll keep this page updated.
How Does Disney+ Work?
Disney+ works much like Netflix, Hulu and other on-demand streaming services. Here’s the gist:
- Once it launches, you’ll be able to sign up for Disney+ online
- It will cost $6.99 a month
- You’ll be able to watch shows and movies on-demand
- Watch on your TV via a streaming player, like Roku, Apple TV, etc.
- Or, watch on-the-go on your mobile devices and computers
- There will be no commercials
- There is no contract, so you can cancel at any time
- Enjoy content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and many more
The reality at this time is that we don’t fully know how Disney+ will work, simply because it’s not launched yet. But, from what we’ve learned from Disney’s press releases so far, we expect the service to function in a similar way to other on-demand streaming services.
The main difference, of course, will be the content offered on Disney+. Disney has already pulled most of their content off of Netflix, and soon Disney+ will be the only way to stream many of these classic movies and shows. The section below will cover more info on what you’ll be able to watch on Disney+.
What Shows & Movies Are on Disney+?
Since the service has yet to launch, we don’t know exactly what content will be hosted by Disney+. However, we do have some useful information.
The Disney+ service will feature a large library of existing content from Disney and its various subsidiaries. This will include:
- Around 500 movies from the Disney library (at least 100 will be available at launch)
- Around 7,000 episodes of popular TV shows (at least 5,000 at launch)
- All movies (past & present) from Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel and other Disney-owned franchises
- All 30 season of The Simpsons (the service will soon be exclusive home for streaming of The Simpsons)
- Much, much more
Beyond the existing content, Disney also plans to host a lot of original content – some of it exclusive to Disney+. This will include original series in the Marvel and Star Wars universes, and original movies based on Monsters Inc, High School Musical, the Muppets and many others.
We do know that Disney+’s primary focus will be on family-friendly content. So, you’ll see a lot of kids movies, kids shows, and family-friendly movies. We expect that there won’t be any R-rated content on Disney+.
This section will be updated as more details emerge – but for now, know that Disney+ is going to be jam-packed with entertaining content. Within the first year, the service plans to have around 10 original movies and 25 original shows!
Disney+ Release Date
The official Disney+ launch date has been set for November 12, 2019. It will launch in the United States only at first, although the company has plans to launch internationally within the next few years.
Disney+ Monthly Price
At launch, Disney+ will cost $6.99 per month, or $69.99 per year. So far this is the only plan that has been announced, so we’re unsure if there will be tiered plans like other services offer.
It’s also quite likely that Disney will offer discounted rates for folks who subscribe to Disney+ and Hulu or ESPN+ – all services owned by Disney. We don’t have details on pricing for these bundles, but we expect a decent discount off of their individual rates.
Disney+ Pros & Cons
It’s tough to do a full Disney+ review without having directly tried the service yet. However, from what we do know, here are the pros and cons of this upcoming service:
- Very affordable ($6.99 a month)
- No contract
- No commercials
- Will work on most devices
- Available without cable
- A good selection of classic and new content from Disney, Marvel, Star Wars and others
- Great selection for kids
- Many exclusive original shows and movies
- The library will be much smaller – at least at first – than competing services
- Movies will be launched in theaters for several months before they make it to Disney+. This differs from Netflix, who launches all their movies directly on the Netflix platform on day one
- The service will focus on “family friendly” content, so there may not be as much for mom & dad
Again, it’s tough to really evaluate this service when it hasn’t launched yet. But from what we can tell, it will be a valuable service to subscribe to!
Is Disney+ Worth It?
What is Disney+ offering that others aren’t? Is Disney Plus worth the money?
Well, for fans of content from Marvel, Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, National Geographic, etc. that don’t have cable, Disney+ may soon be the only viable way to gain access to this content.
So in that way, Disney+ is a must-have for any fans of these popular franchises.
The service is also priced quite reasonably, at $6.99 a month. That said, a service like Netflix is only slightly more expensive, and will offer way more content.
In the end, it’s difficult to say whether Disney+ is worth it, because it hasn’t launched yet! But from what we can tell, the service is definitely worth considering.
What do you think of the new service? Will you be subscribing? Let us know in the comments!