Disney+ is finally here! After months of anticipation, the new streaming service that’s being touted as a possible “Netflix killer” has arrived, and millions of people are wondering if it lives up to the hype.
But what is Disney+? And is it worth it?
Our Disney+ review below will explore this service in detail. We’ll cover everything from the monthly price and the shows it will offer to device compatability and more.
What is Disney+?
So, what is Disney+ anyway? What’s all the hype about?
Disney+ is a new online streaming service that provides on-demand streaming of shows, movies, and original content. In many ways, it’s similar to Netflix, although the service has a definite focus on Disney’s own content.
Here’s the Disney Plus review at-a-glance:
- Disney+ is an on-demand streaming service
- It costs $6.99 a month, with no contract
- You will be able to cancel at any time
- Available without cable
- Watch on-demand shows, movies and more
- Covers content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and more
- Tons of movies and shows for kids
- Watch on devices like Apple TV, Roku, etc. as well as mobile devices and more
On the service, you’ll find shows and movies from many famous franchises and studios, including Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, National Geographic, and of course Disney itself.
The focus is primarily on family-friendly content. That doesn’t mean it will be all kids shows – but, you also likely won’t find any raunchy R-rated films on the service.
Disney+ is available on its own (there is also the option to bundle it with Hulu and ESPN+ for more savings, but more on that later). You can subscribe to it without cable, and stream it on your favorite devices. Again, the service will be similar to Netflix – but with different content.
Keep in mind that Disney+ just launched on November 12, 2019, so it’s brand new and details are sure to change in the coming months as the service grows. This Disney Plus review is meant as a primer to keep you in the loop on the exciting new service. If any details change, we’ll keep this page updated.
How Does Disney+ Work?
Disney+ works much like Netflix, Hulu, and other on-demand streaming services. Here’s the gist:
- You can sign up for Disney+ online with a free 7-day trial
- It costs $6.99 a month if you decide to keep the service
- You can watch shows and movies on-demand
- Watch on your TV via a streaming player, like Roku, Apple TV, etc.
- Or, watch on-the-go on your mobile devices and computers
- There will be no commercials
- There is no contract, so you can cancel at any time
- Enjoy content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and many more
Overall, Disney+ functions just like the other on-demand streaming services like Netflix. You just need an internet connection and something to stream the app on.
The main difference, of course, will be the content offered on Disney+. Disney has already pulled most of their content off of Netflix, and soon Disney+ will be the only way to stream many of these classic movies and shows. The section below will cover more info on what you can watch on Disney+.
What Shows & Movies Are on Disney+?
The Disney+ service will feature a large library of existing content from Disney and its various subsidiaries. This includes:
- Around 500 movies from the Disney library (at least 100 will be available at launch)
- Around 7,000 episodes of popular TV shows (at least 5,000 at launch)
- Movies (past & present) from Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel (16 Marvel Universe movies available at launch), and other Disney-owned franchises
- All 30 seasons of The Simpsons (the service will soon be exclusive home for streaming of The Simpsons)
- Original Disney+ shows and movies you can’t get anywhere else, like the new Star Wars series The Mandalorian, High School Musical The Series, The World According to Jeff Goldblum, Forky Asks A Question, and more
- Much, much more
Beyond the existing content, Disney also plans to host a lot of original content – some of it exclusive to Disney+. This will include original series in the Marvel and Star Wars universes, and original movies based on Monsters Inc, High School Musical, the Muppets and many others.
Disney+’s primary focus will be on family-friendly content. So, you’ll see a lot of kids movies, kids shows, and family-friendly movies. We expect that there won’t be any R-rated content on Disney+ now or at any time in the future.
Again, this is a brand new service, and we expect the library of content to grow rapidly in the coming months. Just know Disney+ is jam-packed with entertaining content. Within the first year, the service plans to have around 10 original movies and 25 original shows!
Disney+ Release Date
Disney+ officially launched in the US, Canada, and the Netherlands on November 12, 2019. It will launch in Australia and New Zealand on November 19. It’s expected to become available in UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, and France on March 31, 2020.
Disney+ Monthly Price
At launch, Disney+ will cost $6.99 per month, or $69.99 per year in the US. Here’s the Disney+ price in other countries:
- Australia – $8.99/month or $90/year
- Canada – $8.99/month or $90/year
- Netherlands – €6.99/month or €70/year
- New Zealand – $9.99/month or $100/year
Disney+ Devices: How Can I Watch?
Disney offers very wide device support with its new streaming service. Here are the ways you can currently stream Disney+:
- Amazon Fire TV and Fire tables
- Android devices (phones, tablets, Android TV)
- Apple TV
- LG Smart TVs
- Microsoft Xbox One
- Roku devices (including Roku TVs)
- Sony PlayStation 4
- Sony smart TVs w/ Android TV
- Web browsers
Disney+ Pros & Cons
As with any streaming service, there are some pros and cons. Here are the pros and cons of Disney+:
- Very affordable ($6.99 a month)
- 7-day free trial
- No contract
- No commercials
- Will work on most devices
- Available without cable
- A good selection of classic and new content from Disney, Marvel, Star Wars and others
- Great selection for kids
- Many exclusive original shows and movies the whole family will be interested in watching
- The library will smaller than competing services at launch
- Movies will be launched in theaters for several months before they make it to Disney+. This differs from Netflix, who launches most of their movies directly on the Netflix platform on day one
Overall, Disney+ is going to make a big splash early on, and we expect it will challenge Netflix over time for dominance of the streaming market.
Is Disney+ Worth It?
What is Disney+ offering that others aren’t? Is Disney Plus worth the money?
Well, for fans of content from Marvel, Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, National Geographic, etc. that don’t have cable, Disney+ may soon be the only viable way to gain access to this content.
So in that way, Disney+ is a must-have for any fans of these popular franchises.
The service is also priced quite reasonably, at $6.99 a month. That said, a service like Netflix is only slightly more expensive, and will offer way more content.
With how much content Disney now has the rights to, Disney+ will definitely be worth trying for most people, especially for families. Remember, you can try Disney+ free for 7 days right now to see if you like it.
What do you think of the new service? Will you be subscribing? Let us know in the comments!
- How to Watch Spring Training Online Without Cable - 02/17/2021
- How to Watch Baseball Online: MLB Streaming Guide (2021) - 02/16/2021
- How to Watch NBA G League Online without Cable - 02/11/2021