Discovery is known for a lot of great programming, but nothing is as popular as Shark Week, which runs from August 9 to August 16 this year. As you might expect, Discovery offers reality programming depicting unusual jobs, educational topics, and interesting family dynamics. Some popular Discovery shows include Alaskan Bush People, Deadliest Catch, Naked and Afraid, Moonshiners, and Street Outlaws. Cable used to be a necessity to watch these and other shows, but now you can watch Discovery online without cable!
Streaming services continue to flood the market, which means that you’ll have more ways to watch your favorite networks without cable. In the case of a Discovery live stream, it’s easier than ever to ditch cable and still watch multiple Discovery networks. Keep reading, and you’ll learn all you need to know to watch Discovery streaming cable-free.
Editor’s note: Discovery+ is now live. Learn all about it in our guide here.
How to Watch Discovery Online Without Cable: At a Glance
Discovery is available on several different streaming services. If you’re in a rush, you might want to check out fuboTV or Hulu Live. These services offer some of the top programming lineups with additional features, all without cable. If you have more time, you can continue reading to find all of the other ways you can watch Discovery streaming without cable.
fuboTV offers a wide range of sports and other content in their lineup. You’ll pay $55 a month for 100+ channels. With this many channels everyone in the family should have something to watch. You can stream on most devices from Apple TV to computers and mobile devices. Each account also includes an on-demand library and a cloud-DVR. Plenty of options for upgrading your account are also available. Try fuboTV free for 7-days.
Hulu Live is another solid option. The main benefit here is that you’ll have over 60 live channels combined with all of the exciting content that comes with the classic Hulu on-demand service. This means on top of all of the live TV you’ll have thousands of hours of on-demand content including Hulu Originals! Your package allows you to add movie channels for a fee. You can stream content through Hulu or using TV Everywhere apps. You’ll also have your own cloud-DVR. Hulu allows you to stream on most devices including Roku, Apple TV, and mobile devices. Try Hulu with Live TV free for a week!
Using Streaming Services to Watch Discovery Online
If you want to watch Discovery online, there are plenty of ways to do it. If you’ve been watching Discovery live through cable, you might be wondering why you need to switch. While you don’t need to switch from cable to streaming, there are several reasons why switching could save you money or provide other benefits. Here are some positives you’ll find with most streaming services:
- You won’t risk anything in trying a service – All of the services that currently offer the Discovery live stream offer free trials and avoid the use of contracts. This means you’re free to sample any of the services you want. As long as you cancel during the free trial you won’t be charged anything. This allows you an easy way to make the right streaming choice for you.
- The numbers speak for themselves – Cable averages a bill of around $100+ per month. In comparison, streaming averages are around $55 a month, though some services are as low as $20 per month.
- Most features are all-inclusive – Most services provide an on-demand library and the use of network TV Everywhere apps. Many services also offer a cloud-DVR. These services are included with your package when available, so you don’t get stuck paying extra for the various features in your account.
- Family features – Many services allow you to make user profiles, to stream on multiple devices at the same time, and even to use parental controls. These are great features that allow everyone the chance to watch what they want without having to worry about what anyone else is watching.
- Streaming is easy and can be done anywhere – Streaming devices work with an internet connection. You can use devices like Roku, mobile devices, computers, Amazon Fire TV, and other devices from anywhere that you can connect. That means you can watch as much as you want on an actual TV or you can stream your favorite show from the beach on your mobile device. It’s all up to you!
Keep reading to learn more about how to watch Discovery streaming online without cable.
Watch Discovery Streaming on fuboTV
fuboTV offers something for the whole family in a huge package offering more than 100 channels. Of course, there are no commitments, so you can cancel at any point. This package includes everything from cartoons to sports. If you want additional channels, you’ll find many that can be added for a fee. Like other services, a cloud-DVR and on-demand library are considered standard features. You can stream Discovery and other channels on most streaming and mobile devices. Other fuboTV details:
- 100+ channels for $55 per month
- Stream previously aired content with 3-day replay
- A cloud-DVR is included
- Stream on Roku, smart TVs, Amazon Fire TV, mobile devices, etc
- Plenty of room for upgrades is available
fuboTV starts off with a well-rounded service but provides plenty of room for customization. You can stream on many of your favorite devices at the location of your choice. You’ll start your fuboTV subscription with a free one-week trial! Our fuboTV review can give you any additional details that you might need.
Watch Discovery without Cable on Hulu with Live TV
Hulu with Live TV has 60+ live channels for $55 per month. One thing that sets Hulu Live apart from other services is the on-demand content. You’ll have thousands of hours of on-demand content that comes with the Hulu on-demand service. Local channels are included in most areas. You’ll also have popular nationwide channels like Discovery, HGTV, TNT, USA, and ESPN. A cloud-DVR is just one of the included features you’ll get with your account. Here are some more highlights:
- 60+ channels
- Hulu on-demand is included
- $55 per month
- No contracts!
- User profiles can be made if you share your account
- Sign up for the Hulu Live trial offer
- Watch on Fire TV, computers, Roku, mobile devices, Apple TV, etc.
Remember, Hulu Live allows you to cancel anytime, so if this isn’t the service for you, there’s always other services you can try. You won’t risk a dime as you’ll get the first week for free. Our Hulu with Live TV review is a great way to learn more about this service.
Watch Discovery Live on Vidgo
Vidgo features two packages. The Core package features 60+ channels for $40 per month. If you want more channels, a larger package is available. You’ll be able to stream ESPN, Discovery, History, Lifetime, MTV, and many other channels. The main difference here is that your package only covers live TV. As a newer service, Vidgo does not currently offer an on-demand library or a cloud-based DVR. Here are the highlights:
- Two package options are available
- The Core package features 60 channels for $40 per month
- Discovery, History, ESPN, Comedy Central, and more are included
- Stream on three devices at once
- Cancel whenever you want
- A free one-week trial is available
- Stream on Amazon Fire TV, Roku, mobile devices, and computers
Vidgo might seem limited compared to some services, but if all you need is live TV, this could be just what you need. At the very least, if you’re curious, you can try the free trial. This allows you to see what Vidgo has to offer and cancel if it’s not for you. Make sure to visit our Vidgo review to learn more.
Watch Discovery Online without Cable on Philo
Philo is the only multi-channel streaming service that’s currently available for just $20 per month. As long as you’re not looking for sports content, this package should work for you. 59 channels are included, offering AMC, HGTV, MTV, Paramount Network, Hallmark, Discovery, Comedy Central, and more. When you’re ready, you can stream Philo with Roku, mobile devices, Apple TV, Chromecast, and other devices. Here are the highlights:
- $20 a month for 59 channels
- Many popular networks are included, but there is no sports coverage
- No commitments or contracts are included
- An on-demand library is included
- A free one-week trial is available
- Watch on Apple TV, computers, Roku, mobile devices, and more
- Save all the shows you want in the unlimited cloud-based DVR
Philo begins each membership with a free weeklong trial. You’ll have time to check out the lineup and use any of the added features. If you’re happy, you’re all set. If not, you can cancel and you won’t be charged, as long as you cancel during the trial. Otherwise, you’ll pay as you go and can stop your subscription whenever you might want. Our Philo review can fill you in on additional details.
Watch Discovery Online on YouTube TV
YouTube TV has one package that offers 70+ channels. At $65 per month, this package is more expensive than the average streaming service. An on-demand library is included. YouTube TV offers a great mobile app that makes on-the-go streaming easier than ever. They also include a cloud-DVR with unlimited storage space. Like other services, you’re free to cancel when you want. You can stream Discovery on Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, and more. Here are additional details on YouTube TV:
- 70+ channels from $65 per month
- Stream local and nationwide channels for many of the most popular networks
- Stream on Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, mobile devices, and more
- Unlimited storage space is a featured part of the cloud-based DVR
- You can make user profiles for your account
- A free 7-day trial is available
YouTube TV is a service that is growing in popularity thanks to the large channel lineup and the fair prices. You can stream on most devices, so you can watch from most locations. As with other services, contracts aren’t required, so when you want to cancel you can do so in minutes. Our YouTube TV review can tell you more.
How to Watch Other Entertainment Channels without Cable
Looking for info on how to watch another channel without cable? Check out the chart below.
|BET||Hallmark Mysteries & Movies||TruTV|
|Comedy Central||HGTV||TV Land|
|Discovery Channel||Investigation Discovery||VH1|
Discovery is a popular cable channel, but you don’t need cable to watch it legally. Each of the services you’ve just learned about offers an easy, legal way to watch this and other channels without cable. There’s no risk involved. Just choose a service, sign up, and if you’re not satisfied, you can cancel at any time. Most services offer a free trial, so if you cancel before it’s up, you won’t even be charged.
That covers everything you need to know to watch Discovery online, but if you have any questions you can leave them in the comments.