During these strange times, one thing is for certain: Tiger King has taken the nation by storm. Critics love it. Netflix subscribers love it. Social media loves it. Everywhere you look, it’s simply unavoidable. In fact, it’s so popular that Netflix has decided to release an extra episode.
What makes the show so enthralling? Many would say its the wild cast. And not just the star, Joe Exotic… Tiger King is rounded out with a motley crew of intriguing supporting characters.
With that in mind, we got to wondering – what character does each state love the most? Does it vary across the US? To find out, we teamed up with Mindnet Analytics. Using Google Trends data, we were able to determine which Tiger King character each state is most obsessed with.
After an in-depth analysis using Google Trends data, it was extremely clear that Joe Exotic was clearly the character every single state was most interested in. However, when looking at supporting characters, the results got interesting. Here are some interesting findings that jumped out at us:
- Doc Antle and Carole Baskin tied for the supporting character the most states were obsessed with, claiming eight states a piece.
- States were typically most obsessed with the characters who shared their home. For example, Florida was most interested in Carole, and Doc Antle claimed his home state of South Carolina.
- James Garretson takes third place, with six states being most obsessed with him. Not surprising, since he ends up playing such an important role in the final part of the season.
- Oklahoma showed the most interest overall in the characters, which isn’t surprising since it’s the main setting for the show. In fact, the Midwest in general has more interest in the characters than the rest of the nation.
First we extracted the list of the 15 main characters from Tiger King from this Cinemaholic article. Since some characters have different variations of their names, such as “Doc Antle” or “Bhagavan Antle,” we used the Google Trends similar queries feature to build a set of name variations for each character.
The data used to determine which character each state is most obsessed with came from Google Trends state-wise search frequencies. For example, if you look at the relative search frequency for “Joe Exotic” across states you see that people in Oklahoma have searched more for this character than any other state. We only counted search frequencies from March 20, 2020 (the premiere of Tiger King) through April 2, 2020, the date of the analysis.
Note, it is not necessarily the character that people in a state searched for more than all other characters, but the character they’re “most obsessed with” is the character that they searched for the most compared to other states.
Interest in the Cast of Tiger King
Each State’s Tiger King Character Obsession
|District of Columbia||Rick Kirkham|
|New Hampshire||Mario Tabraue|
|New Jersey||Doc Antle|
|New Mexico||James Garretson|
|New York||Doc Antle|
|North Carolina||Doc Antle|
|North Dakota||John Finlay|
|Rhode Island||Rick Kirkham|
|South Carolina||Doc Antle|
|South Dakota||Jeff Lowe|
|West Virginia||Dillon Passage|
Latest posts by William Parker (see all)
- Report: 24% of Baseball Fans May Cut Cable If the MLB Season Is Cancelled - 06/08/2020
- Report: Netflix Saved the Average Viewer 58 Hours of Commercials During the Coronavirus Shutdown - 06/01/2020
- Big Cable to Lose $264 Million in Revenue from Hidden Fees This Year Just from Customers That Left in Q1 - 05/19/2020