Where Cord-cutting Adrenalin Junkies get their X Games Fix
Quick History of the Event
Over two decades since the inaugural games were held in New Port, Rhode Island, the X Games has continued to thrill sports lovers, garnering thousands of spectators yearly. The event is hosted, produced, and broadcast by ESPN, with coverage shown on ABC, its sister network. The passing years have seen new events added to the extreme sports lineup, and every year, participants contend to win gold, silver, and bronze medals, and of course, the prize money.
The X Games achieved extensive media exposure and popularity because of steady fan attendance, professional athletes, and top sponsors. The X Games is not held in the United States alone. In 2003, the global championships had five continents compete in eleven sports and was hosted in Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, and Whistler, British Columbia. In recent years, the European games have been hosted in Tignes, France, and Oslo, Norway.
Buttermilk Mountain in Aspen, Colorado will be hosting the winter X games until 2019. The X Games will also be held in Norway, Sydney, and Minneapolis. While it is almost nearly impossible to watch every event, ABC keeps you up-to-date in its weekly show, “World of X Games”, highlighting noteworthy action sportsperson, artists, athletes, event previews, and recaps.
As the popularity of the X Games has grown, so has the popularity of Over-the-Air (OTA) Antennas, Streaming Devices, and Streaming Services. Now more than ever, cord-cutters are able to catch all the X Games action, without the high price of a cable TV bill.
To begin, let’s take a look at what events are available for free with an OTA Antenna.
“World of X Games” TV Schedule on ABC
- May 26 – 2 p.m. ET Best of X Games Norway 2018
- June 9 – 3 p.m. ET World of X Games: Real BMX 2018
- June 16 – 2:30 p.m. ET World of X Games: Street League Skateboarding Stop #1
- June 23 – 2 p.m. ET Road to X Games: Boise Park Qualifier
- June 30 – 2 p.m. ET World of X Games: Real Street 2018 (Re-air)
- July 7 – 2 p.m. ET World of X Games
- July 15 – 1 p.m. ET World of X Games
- July 21 – 1 p.m. ET X Games Minneapolis Live
- July 29 – 1 p.m. ET X Games Minneapolis Anthology
- August 4 – 4 p.m. ET World of X Games
See the complete schedule here.
How to watch World of X Games Online
If you are not able to utilize free OTA TV, ESPN and ESPN2 will be showing live broadcasts of the X Games as well. Here is a brief overview of the many options available to cord-cutters:
- Sling TV‘s Orange service offers a way to watch ESPN without cable plus ESPN2, ESPN3, and 27 other channels. The subscription costs $20 monthly but you can enjoy a 7-day free trial before paying.
- DirecTV Now offers ESPN in its basic package “Live A Little”. The package, which costs $35 monthly, offers 60 channels. There is a 7-day free trial.
- Hulu‘s Live service also offers ESPN at $39.99 monthly. You can enjoy a 7-day free trial before paying.
- With PlayStation Vue, you only need to subscribe to the Access package at $39.99 month to watch ESPN.
- For $35 per month, you can watch ABC, along with more than 50 other channels on YouTube TV. Also included in the package are major networks like NBC, CBS, and 5 ESPN channels.
Living a life without Cable does not mean you need to miss out on your favorite shows or events. As the list of options for cord-cutters continues to build, the above services will allow you to enjoy the thrilling events of World of X Games and catch up highlights of the games you miss. Access won’t be free like it is with an Antenna, but it will still be much less expensive than a bloated cable tv bill.
Latest posts by Helen Back (see all)
- How to Watch NBA Without Cable TV (2020) - 06/01/2020
- How to Watch EPL Soccer Online without Cable - 06/01/2020
- How to Watch the NBA Playoffs and Finals Without Cable (2020) - 06/01/2020