NFL is back and football fans are as obsessed as ever. And it’s no wonder — with so much craziness in 2020, football is the perfect escape.
According to Sportfacts.org, the average NFL fan watches a total of 4.2 hours of football a week. To put that into perspective, we decided to compare that to how much time we spend on other weekly activities compared to watching NFL games.
Watch Football vs Everything Else
The result? Well, let’s just say football season can really take over the life of an NFL fan. Here’s a look at how much time is spent on various activities.
|Activity||Time Spent per Day (min)||Time Spent per Week (min)|
These results are truly staggering. Yes, we spend a lot of time doing things, but when you compare it to the time we sit and watch football on TV, it’s really sobering. A few notable takeaways:
- NFL fans spend about as much time watching football as the average person spends socializing in a given week.
- On average, children only get about a third of the attention that football games get from NFL fans. Of course, maybe we’re watching football with our kids!
- Activities that enrich our brains and bodies, such as reading and exercise, pale in comparison to the amount of time spent watching football. Solution? Maybe put a Peloton in front of the TV, turn the volume off, and play an audiobook in your headphones while you watch?
- The average person spends 56 minutes a week showering — and football fans spend about 9 times that watching NFL. At least we’re saving water, maybe?
- File under sad but true — adults make love for about 14 minutes a week on average. And NFL fans spend 35 times that amount of time watching football.
What else can we say? It’s a lot of football watching, even if the majority of it is watching commercials!